Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Gotcha!

After Sweet B screamed through her swimming lesson for forty-five minutes, we made our way to see the doctor. Unfortunately Sweet B had again made me really nervous when I put the feeding tube extension in this morning, and she cried and smacked it away.

I explained what has been going on to her wonderful doctor, and showed her by putting the feeding tube extension in her button, and sure enough, Sweet B screamed. The doctor then touched her hand and she screamed just as loud. Then she said that she wanted to do an "experiment." She had me get Sweet B's attention while she inserted the feeding tube, and guess what? No tears. She didn't even notice it! She even managed to smile at me as if to say, "Gotcha!" The doctor concluded that it was as we had hoped-a teething issue. Sweet B is just in pain right now and annoyed with anything touching her. I was given advice on how to help her. (By the way...helping a child with oral aversion who is teething is not easy...She spits out the Tylenol, and she only allows me to put in the chilled teether or washcloth for a few seconds. Then she smacks it out of my hand! Oh Sweet B...you certainly know what you do and don't want!)

It's hard as a mom of a baby with special needs, to decipher what is "normal" behavior and what is not. She is my first baby, so I haven't ever experienced the joys of teething before. However, I have to be diligent and take her to the doctor because an infection would be very, very bad. I somewhat felt foolish telling people that it only ended up being teething, because HELLO, all babies do that...but I needed to be sure.

Miss Allison, her wonderful teacher, came for her weekly visit today. She was asking questions for an assessment on Sweet B, and she was trying to figure out where she was cognitively, socially, etc. When she asked me if Sweet B is exerting her opinion, we both laughed, and I felt joy with the knowledge that she is doing what she should be doing when she slaps my hand away. In fact, she is early to do it, which shows just how smart she is!

I leave you with a picture of Sweet B exerting her opinion at swim lessons yesterday.



And when we got in the car yesterday after swim lessons...



And today at swim lessons...



And when we got in the car after swim lessons...




9 comments:

  1. these pics are precious.
    I am glad the you have doc who is able to work through these issues with you. You are not expected to know everything. No mother ever does and with a special needs baby it is that much harder. You are doing a great job, just look at her smile in these pics- you are a wonderful mother.
    thinking of you and B. Hoping the teething pain passes soon, for both of you

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son's pediatrician told me never to feel foolish bringing him in to have something checked. It's always better to "err" on the side of caution.Teething is rough on many babies, and I'm sure it's particularly difficult for Sweet B with her oral aversion issues. No wonder the poor girl hasn't wanted to eat. My son would get a low fever and diarrhea and would chew on everything in sight when he had a tooth coming. When that darn thing pops through she will get some blessed relief. I don't know much about feeding tubes, could you give her the Tylenol that way?

    Your Sweet B has quite a personality! I love the before and after swimming pictures! She seems to be saying "gotcha" in the last one; you sure named this post correctly! What a beautiful, happy little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that she changes so compleatly in and out of the water! Hope it gets better once she get's used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got back from my 17th visit to the pediatrician in the last 6 weeks. Not joking. Little bit has been so sick this summer. 2 things: 1. Can you add motrin/tylenol into her feeds so she gets relief? 2. Please tell me you tightened her carseat straps after taking those pics. Those loose straps about gave me a heart attack. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. N and M,
    He had just put her in the seat and the door was still open :) Not to worry!

    I've been giving her Tylenol through her tube but she throws it up many times :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet B is one of the most precious, photogenic babies! She looks so much like you! And so glad to hear the doc's opinion about the teething. I totally would've taken her in, too. I've taken my kids in to the dr for much less. :) Chin up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Charlotte HATES the water, too! Glad it was nothing "serious." We get sooo excited when Charlotte has "normal baby problems" as we like to call them. And don't worry, we struggle with the differentiation all the time. "Is this normal, or is this prematurity?" All.the.time. And I have a "normal" (hahahahahahaha) kid to compare her to. It's all a guessing game. And WHEN are we going to get together? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
  8. She wanted her Momma!!! A fish she is not right now, but I bet by the end she loves the water! I hope anyway!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am glad that you have a team that cares about Baby B so much. She couldn't have a better mom!

    ReplyDelete